The Ancholme Internal Drainage Board was formed in 1951 under the Land Drainage Act 1930. The Board’s purpose was to protect people and their property against river and surface water flooding through water level management within low lying areas along the River Ancholme Valley.
Earliest records of the “Old River Ancholme” date back to 1287. The canalised “New River Ancholme” received commission by enactment in 1825 and was completed around 1844 with John Rennie appointed as Engineer.
Due to the flat gradient of the New River Ancholme and controlled water level from Ferriby Sluice, up to 50% of the Drainage District relies upon mechanical means of lifting water from the low lying areas into the New River Ancholme. Approximately 5% of the Drainage District is mechanically lifted into the River Humber to overcome siltation from tidal flows constantly affecting gravity discharge.